Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Trinity Brewing, Colorado Springs CO

Again forgot to grab a pic on the way out, this is from Yelp:  http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/trinity-brewing-company-colorado-springs?select=TQP8Osw830Gue5VNYygMxw


I swear I don't only eat at breweries.  I've been to quite a few good places in Colorado.  It just seems that I only remember to take pictures at breweries.  I think beer makes me picture happy.  So my wife and I were wondering how to spend our pre-Valentine's day and I remembered that she had been telling me about a nice littler brewery on the west side of town that some co-workers had taken her to earlier in the year.  As it is Lent, and I've given up, well most of the things I really enjoy eating and drinking I thought I would give this a try.  Because when you give up drinking almost every beverage outside of water and fruit juice you get a strong desire for beverages with flavor, which is how I found myself at Trinity Brewing.



Located in what appeared to be a warehouse district turned strip mall, which makes sense as most of the little breweries around here started off in a warehouse, the place has been spruced up nicely.  A large outdoor sitting area was already filled, as it was a warm winter day an all people in the Springs will flock to any outdoor seating in the winter when the sun is out.  Large windows opened up into a busy indoor area, where my wife and I found a cool spot not too far from the kitchen.

After less than five minutes a server showed up and handed over some menus, of which the first five pages were filled with different types of beer, but also showing a decent sized food section.  As this was our first time here we had to order a beer, maybe two.  We finally settled on getting a flight of the breweries finest, 8 of their beers, and a small thing of cheese, not a bad deal for $20.  I ordered a Tuscan Chicken Melt, with a salad as I'd also given up french fries for the next 40 days, and my wife ordered a Brie BLT, also with a salad to show her solidarity for my suffering.  For an appetizer we got an order of Country Fried Bacon, not that we needed it, but I don't pass up bacon appetizers.



The beer came out first and we spent a fair amount of time deciding on our favorites.  My wife and I have similar taste in beer, light and fruity.  Our favorite was the Sunna, a Belgian Wit.  Our least favorite with the two IPA's and one double IPA's, which is why I was thrown out of San Diego. j/k  Out of the eight beers provided I like five of them, my second favorite being the Farmhouse Walloon, a Harvest Saison, whatever that means.  All I know is that I liked it.  Strangely enough I also really enjoyed the Awaken, a coffee flavored stout.  Strange because I can't stand coffee, but I like the taste of it in beer.  I had mixed feelings about Saison Man, as it started off good but finished up with a bit of a funky aftertaste.  Besides that everything, even the IPA's were pretty good.

After getting nice and inebriated the appetizer came out.  Five thick slices of bacon, "double dipped in buttermilk and seasoned flour, fried to a golden brown."  They were quite good, and I found myself dipping them in both the spicy blue, even though I'm not a big fan of blue cheese, and blueberry maple dipping sauce.  They even made the IPAs taste better.



As we were finishing up the flight our food came out.  Even tipsy as I was it wasn't the most amazing food ever, but it was damn good.  Definitely up there when compared to the overly greasy fare that is served at most breweries.  My chicken melt was the usual roasted chicken, cooked just right, crispy bacon, roasted tomatoes and melty smoked fontina cheese on a toasted rosemary-garlic bread and mixed greens.  I enjoyed it, and finished it off pretty quickly.  The side salad was also pretty good.  I stole a bit of my wife's Brie BLT, and found it good as well, though not quite as good as my food chicken.

I think the favorite part of my time at Trinity was the people.  Easy going and nice, the servers were able to answer any and all questions about the beer served.  There was no hint of beer snob in their tone, then again it wasn't like I asked them for a Miller Light, no telling how they would have responded to that.  It was my favorite type of beer drinking atmosphere, cool and relaxed.


I stumbled out of there with a smile on my face and a renewed appreciation for beer.  I'd definitely come back to Trinity, maybe on a busy Friday night, or after Lent to try the Golden Belgian Fries which my wife says is amazing, and maybe another order of Country Fried Bacon.

Trinity Brewing
1466 Garden of the Gods Road
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
(719) 634-0029
http://www.trinitybrew.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment